from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A temporary state of interrupted breathing and loss of consciousness resembling death, caused especially by asphyxia.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A temporary cessation of breathing and consciousness resembling death; often the result of asphyxia.
- n. The deliberate slowing of the body's functions, sometimes by the use of cryonics, on long interstellar journeys.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. temporary suspension of the vital functions, as in persons nearly drowned.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a temporary cessation of vital functions with loss of consciousness resembling death; usually resulting from asphyxia
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.