American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A temporary state of interrupted breathing and loss of consciousness resembling death, caused especially by asphyxia.
- n. A temporary cessation of breathing and consciousness resembling death; often the result of asphyxia.
- n. science fiction The deliberate slowing of the body's functions, sometimes by the use of cryonics, on long interstellar journeys.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. temporary suspension of the vital functions, as in persons nearly drowned.
- n. a temporary cessation of vital functions with loss of consciousness resembling death; usually resulting from asphyxia
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘suspended animation’.
pretty open-ended here—terms, ideas, lingo, technologies and phenomena (real or postulated) that are, were, should be or could be used in speculative fiction
Cribbed from Transhumanist Terminology at aleph.se, which has definitions, and is itself based on the Lextropicon.
Looking for tweets for suspended animation.