from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The skin of a swan with the feathers attached.
- n. Any of several flannel or cotton fabrics with a soft nap.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The skin of a swan with the down or feathers on.
- n. A type of brushed flannel cotton twill fabric.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of a swan with the down or the feathers on.
- n. A species of soft flannel, thick and warm.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The skin of a swan with the feathers on.
- n. A kind of fine twilled flannel; also, a kind of woolen blanketing used by letterpress printers and engravers.
The woman wants to stay in the swanskin, while the man wishes to resume his human form for a time.
When a spinster on a farm happens to see him remove his swanskin and change back to a man, the lives of these three individuals becomes inextricably linked ...and even more so, when the wizard comes looking for his wife.
This evening he was still in his white swanskin pantaloons with feet, streaked black on the pocket where he had wiped his pen.
Sometimes, while Grandfather Gardinois, who had laid aside in her honor his old-fashioned hunting-jackets and swanskin waistcoats, was jesting with her, amusing himself by contradicting her in order to draw out a sharp reply, she would gaze steadily, coldly into his eyes, without replying.
His Majesty, before making his toilet, in summer, put on pantaloons of white pique and a dressing-gown of the same, and in winter, pantaloons and dressing-gown of swanskin, while on his head was a turban tied in front, the two ends hanging down on his neck behind.
But you must hide the swanskin that belongs to the youngest maiden.
Now that she had the swanskin she was able to transform herself.
Then he came from where he was hiding and gave her the swanskin.
She searched and searched, and at last the King's Son heard her say, "I would do anything in the world for the creature who would find my swanskin for me."
Then she came out and began to search for her swanskin.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.