American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Biology The condition of having two or more fused digits, as occurs normally in certain mammals and birds.
- n. Biology A congenital anomaly in humans characterized by two or more fused fingers or toes.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Syndactylism.
- n. biology The normal condition, in some animals and birds, of having fused digits.
- n. The anomalous condition, in humans, of having some fingers or toes fused with a web.
- n. birth defect in which there is partial or total webbing connecting two or more fingers or toes
- From syn- + Ancient Greek δάκτυλος (dáktulos, "finger") + -y. (Wiktionary)
“Some people have webbed toes - something called syndactyly (sp) - two toes can be fused to look like one toe.”
“Unfortunately I was born with syndactyly webbed toes a condition that has not affected me in any way shape or form throughout my life except to impress first graders and in preventing me from wearing toe-socks.”
“I like to think my syndactyly is an outward indication of some other greater, more profound mutation.”
“My maid of honor has syndactyly and we are have a hard time trying to find a comfortable shoe for her for the wedding.”
“They discovered the fetus had a condition common to those with radioactive exposure: atypical syndactyly.”
“The nine following cases (Nos. 37-45) were anomalies of the lower limbs: Nos. 37, 38, and 42 may have been spontaneous amputations; Nos. 39 and 40 were doubtless instances of webbed toes (syndactyly), and the deformity indicated in No. 45 was presumably talipes equinus.”
“ACF has engaged the staff at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in conjunction with the International Children's Surgery Fund, directed by Greg Fontana, MD, to correct Hussein's other medical problems: hearing difficulties, syndactyly (fused digits), hypospadias, agenesis of one kidney and incomplete closure of the skull.”
“Forum: Science Jobs Forum Posted By: Jessica Post Time: 10-29-2008 at 10: 18 PM what role do lysosomes play in apoptosis, digit formation, and syndactyly?”
“Spiral and oblique fractures e. a component of syndactyly e.”
“It turns out that there are are lots of people (depending on how you define ‘lots’) who have syndactyly (webbed toes or fingers), but there isn’t a whole lot of information about it on the internet that’s easy to find.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘syndactyly’.
Some more words for intermediate and advanced spellers.
"Sick" is probably not the right word, but this is where I put diseases, problems and abnormalities until I find a better way to sort them.
Looking for tweets for syndactyly.