from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A surveying instrument used for the rapid determination of distances, elevations, and bearings.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A surveying instrument for quickly finding distances.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An instrument, esp. a transit or theodolite with stadia wires, for determining quickly the distances, bearings, and elevations of distant objects.
- n. A speed indicator; a tachometer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A surveying-instrument. See the quotation. Also called tacheometer.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a theodolite designed for rapid measurements
Its tachymeter function used to convert time intervals to speed or rates of events is etched around the rim of the analog face.
Ok, so there is a difference between tachometer and tachymeter.
Hodinkee: "In 1972, Heuer launched a promotion with the Viceroy brand of cigarettes to sell a distinctive self-winding caliber 12 Autavia with a black dial, red hands, and a tachymeter bezel (like on the Siffert Autavias) for $88 to those that sent in one carton end flap."
With a stopwatch, date display, tachymeter and chronograph dials, how does it look this good?
The tachymeter scale can be used to compute the speed - between 60 and 330 km/h - travelled over one kilometre.
Features scratch resistant and anti-reflective crystal, tachymeter scale around the bezel and is water resistant to 100 meters.
Features a cool dark blue dial, Japanese Miyota movement, tachymeter scale, and a silver/black bracelet.
Introduced in 1960 and named for the Daytona International Speedway, it retains most of its original features (three chronographic subdials and a tachymeter on the bezel), though it's now driven by a spankin'-new movement.
Features a stainless steel case, swiss quartz movement, water resistant up to 50 meters, and tachymeter.
But, hey, for that you get all kinds of fancy features, including a tachymeter scale, automatic chronograph and, I'm sure, a really snazzy box.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.