from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A kind of large cape, or short, full cloak.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of large cape, or short, full cloak, forming part of the dress of ladies.
- n. A similar garment worn formerly by gentlemen.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A woman's outer garment, cut like a clerical cope, having generally a hood, and falling loosely around the person, but not very long: worn during the first half of the nineteenth century.
- n. A somewhat similar garment worn by men, usually as an overcoat.
Probably named after Talma, a French actor. (Wiktionary)