from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A Chinese puzzle consisting of a square cut into five triangles, a square, and a rhomboid, to be reassembled into different figures.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A Chinese puzzle made of a square that is cut up into different triangular pieces which can then be reassembled to make designs.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A Chinese toy made by cutting a square of thin wood, or other suitable material, into seven pieces, as shown in the cut, these pieces being capable of combination in various ways, so as to form a great number of different figures. It is now often used in primary schools as a means of instruction.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A Chinese puzzle consisting of a square of wood or other material cut into seven pieces of various shapes (five triangles, a square, and a lozenge), which can be combined so as to form a square and a variety of other figures.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a Chinese puzzle consisting of a square divided into seven pieces that must be arranged to match particular designs
Perhaps partial translation of Chinese (Mandarin) táng tú : táng, Tang (Chinese dynasty) + tú, picture, diagram.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Chinese: 七巧板; pinyin: qī qiǎo bǎn; literally "seven boards of skill". (Wiktionary)