from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. The interior structure is made up of water-tight transverse and longitudinal bulkheads arranged to form a number of compartments or tanks in which oil, molasses, or other fluids can be carried in bulk. The top of the tanks is a water-tight deck, above which and opening into the tanks are expansion-trunks (which see). The fluid is pumped into and out of the tanks by a system of pipes and steam-pumps. In tank-steamers the machinery and boilers are separated from the oil tank-compartments by a coffer-dam formed by two complete transverse bulkheads about 4 feet apart, which is frequently filled with water. Also colloquially called tanker.
  • n. A ship of which the hold is so arranged that oil or other liquid can be carried in bulk.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.