from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A black to red-brown mineral, (Fe,Mn)(Ta,Nb)2O6, distinguished from columbite by the predominance of tantalum over niobium and used as an ore of both elements.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A dark-brown mineral that is an ore of tantalum and niobium, of the chemical formula (Fe, Mn) Ta2O6.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A heavy mineral of an iron-black color and submetallic luster. It is essentially a tantalate of iron.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A rare mineral, occurring crystallized and massive, of an iron-black color and submetallic luster.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a mineral consisting of tantalum oxide of iron and manganese that occurs with niobite or in coarse granite; an ore of tantalum
tantal(um) + -ite1.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)