from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A layabout or loiterer; Someone who tarries.
- n. A Roman Catholic of Northern Ireland or Scotland
- adj. comparative form of tarry: more tarry
- n. Obsolete form of terrier.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, tarries.
- n. A kind of dig; a terrier.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which tarries or delays.
- n. One who hinders, or causes tarrying.
- n. Same as terrier.
The Roman Catholic slang variation is possibly derived from Saint Erasmus being labeled as a tarrier of time before torture and execution for his beliefs. (Wiktionary)