from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative form of teasel.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- See teasel.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To dress the surface of, as cloth, by means of teazels, or by some machine or appliance substituted for them. Also tease.
- n. A plant of the genus Dipsacus and family Dipsacaceæ, chiefly D. fullonum, the fullers' teazel, together with D. sylvestris, the wild teazel, of which the former is suspected to be a cultivated variety.
- n. The head or bur of the plant, which is the part used in teazeling cloth.
- n. A. teazeling-machine or any appliance substituted for the plant.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of several herbs of the genus Dipsacus native to the Old World having flower heads surrounded by spiny bracts
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Fortunately teazel is a hardy plant and grows without much care.
In our own Kangra mission we started to produce teazel, which is that spiky plant used in woolen mills for "teazing" woolen cloth.
After the crop came, we would market the teazel for them and they would be greatly surprised at the sum it would fetch and become enthusiastic about growing more.
We would urge him to take a waste piece of land and plant the teazel plant in it.
If a 'prentice of mine cannot clean his platter, I know that I shall get little from him with carder and teazel.
Slugs and snails too will often attack and bite flowers, unless they are kept away by thorns and bristles, such as we find on the teazel and the burdock.
Many wire brushes and metal substitutes have been tried to take the place of nature's gift to the cloth-worker, the teazel, but nothing has been invented to replace with full satisfaction that wonderful scratcher.
For the slender recurved bracts of the teazel heads are stiff and prickly enough to roughen thoroughly the nap of the cloth, yet they yield at precisely the right point to keep from injuring the fabric.
we needed wun – we gots a johnny depp, but apparently himz nakid. or sumfin. wering teazel an MB, mebbee but we haz no pierate cloves yet! welkom, an fank yor for showin us yor fluffy boots an eyepatch – trooly fabyooloso!
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.