Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A hook for stretching cloth on a tenter.
- n. Figuratively, anything that painfully strains, racks, or tortures.
- n. In heraldry, a bearing representing an iron hook with the straight bar pointed at one end, and projecting beyond the bent or angled part at the other, so that it can be driven in by blows of a hammer.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. a sharp, hooked nail used for fastening cloth on a tenter.
- n. one of a series of hooks used to hold cloth on a tenter
“Has any man moved in the affairs of men, with a grain of common-sense or half a pennyweight of experience, without being taught that an old tenter-hook sits easier to him than a new one?”
Looking for tweets for tenter-hook.