from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A paper bearing a student's work for an examination.
- n. Paper saturated with a reagent, such as litmus, used in making chemical tests.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a paper submitted to an examination by a student
- n. a small piece of paper impregnated with a chemical indicator for making qualitative tests
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An instrument admitted as a standard or comparison of handwriting in those jurisdictions in which comparison of hands is permitted as a mode of proving handwriting.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In chem., a paper impregnated with a chemical reagent, as litmus, and used for detecting the presence of certain substances, which cause a reaction and a change in the color of the paper.
- n. In law, a document allowed to be used in a court of justice as a standard of comparison for determining a question of handwriting.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. paper impregnated with an indicator for use in chemical tests
- n. a written examination
Sorry, no etymologies found.