from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of a group of plantlike organisms showing no differentiation into stem, root, or leaf, including the algae, fungi, and lichens, formerly regarded as constituting a major division of the plant kingdom.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of a large number of plants that consist of a thallus only, with no flower, leaves etc.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A plant belonging to the Thallophyta.
- n. Same as Thallogen.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A plant of the subkingdom Thallophyta; one of the lower cryptogams.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of a group of cryptogamic organisms consisting principally of a thallus and thus showing no differentiation into stem and root and leaf
thallus + -phyte (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.