from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The point of contact between two dissimilar metals in a thermocouple at which a thermoelectric current is produced.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A junction of two dissimilar conductors used to produce a thermoelectric current, as in one form of pyrometer; a thermocouple.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. There are two such points in the circuit of a thermo-element. It is upon the difference of temperature of the two junctions for a given pair of metals that the electromotive force of the element depends.
- n. The point of union of the two metals of a thermo-electric couple.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a junction between two dissimilar metals across which a voltage appears
Sorry, no etymologies found.