from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A vitreous brownish-yellow to black radioactive mineral, essentially ThSiO4, an ore of thorium.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A radioactive mineral, composed mostly of thorium silicate (ThSiO4), along with silicates of uranium and the rare earths.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A mineral of a brown to black color, or, as in the variety orangite, orange-yellow. It is essentially a silicate of thorium.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An explosive of the ammonium-nitrate class once experimented with as a bursting charge for shell.
- n. A silicate of thorium, generally compact with conchoidal fracture, and of a black color, or, as in the variety orangite, orange-yellow.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a radioactive mineral consisting of thorium silicate; it is a source of thorium that is found in coarse granite
thor(ium) + -ite1.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)