from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A European ray (Raja clavata) having spines along the back.
- n. A fish (Platyrhinoidis triseriata) of Pacific waters, related to the guitarfish.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The thornback guitarfish (Platyrhinoidis triseriata), a species of ray in the north-eastern Pacific Ocean.
- n. The thornback ray or thornback skate (Raja clavata), a species of ray in the Atlantic Ocean.
- n. The thornback skate (Dentiraja lemprieri), a fish endemic to Australia.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A European skate (Raia clavata) having thornlike spines on its back.
- n. The large European spider crab or king crab (Maia squinado).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Australia, one of the sting-rays, Raja lemprieri or Raja rostata, of the family Rajidæ.
- n. A kind of ray or skate, Raia clavata, common on the British coasts, distinguished by the short and strong spines which are scattered over the back and tail.
- n. The common British spider-crab, Maia squinado. Sometimes called king-crab. See cut under Maia.
thorn + back (Wiktionary)