from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A tack with a smooth, rounded head that can be pressed into place with the thumb.
- transitive v. To affix with a thumbtack.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small nail-like tack with a slightly rounded head that can be pressed into place with light pressure from the thumb; used for hanging light articles on a wall or noticeboard
- v. To fix or attach something with a thumbtack.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. fasten with thumbtacks
- n. a tack for attaching papers to a bulletin board or drawing board
Sorry, no etymologies found.
On a thumbtack was a church calendar with a huge picture of Jesus Christ, his hair brown ringlets against a cerulean-blue background, and his eyes heavenward.
But there are also more appealing options, such as thumbtack monograms or a dried-bean mosaic of James Brown.
"thumbtack" icon shows the last spot they registered online before disappearing a few days ago while traveling waters off the coast of East Africa.
If you're less hook-enthused and have soft walls, you can simply stick a thumbtack in the wall and use this as your cord holder.
But I noticed a little thumbtack hole on the top, so I assume it was pinned somewhere in the hut where Hill was found.
She noticed a tiny hole near the top, the perforation a pushpin or thumbtack would make?
'Every day a different two or three films; sometimes one single long movie, sometimes trilogies, but a calendar's worth - the kind you thumbtack to your wall - of old movies.
These mushrooms look exactly like tiny bird's nests, half the size of a thumbtack.
Edits Dawson's Rules for Beer Pong, which he prints out, after surveying the document in "print preview," and posts above the house table with great fanfare, and a thumbtack.
Now there's just thumbtack holes and a few pieces of tape still stuck to his walls, and that's it.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.