from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A long rod, threaded at both ends, with a nut and washer-plate, or with a fixed head at one end, used to connect two or more parts of a structure or frame or truss and resist tension. In England used as a synonym for ‘through-stay,’ employed in boilers or similar structures exposed to internal pressure, to tie two parallel surfaces together.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.