from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of numerous active, brightly colored, predatory beetles of the family Cicindelidae, chiefly of warm, sandy regions, having large jaws and sluggish larvae that live in vertical burrows.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any active, carnivorous beetle (species) of the family Cicinidelidae
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. any one of numerous species of active carnivorous beetles of the family Cicindelidæ. They usually inhabit dry or sandy places, and fly rapidly.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Any beetle of the family Cicindelidæ: so called from its active predaceous habits. See also cuts under Amblychila and Cicindela.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. active usually bright-colored beetle that preys on other insects
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.