Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A game in which a piece of wood tapering to a point at each end is made to rise from the ground by being tipped or struck at one end with a stick, and while in the air is knocked by the same player as far as possible. Also called cat-and-dog.
- n. The piece of wood that is struck in this game. More commonly called the cat.
- n. An old game in which a small piece of wood, pointed at both ends, called a "cat", is tipped, or struck with a stick or bat, to make it travel through the air as far as possible.
- n. The wooden stick used in this game.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A game in which a small piece of wood pointed at both ends, called a
cat, is tipped, or struck with a stick or bat, so as to fly into the air.
- tip + cat (Wiktionary)
“But the next minute flinging away dull care, he inquired briskly: “Can you play tipcat, Aunt Mary?””
“The four chief sins of which he was guilty were dancing, ringing the bells of the parish church, playing at tipcat and reading the history of Sir Bevis of Southampton.”
“Many generations of schoolboys had cut and worn a series of big notches on each side of the wall, and by long practice I could run up and down in a trice to fetch ball or tipcat which had been knocked over.”
“In the middle of a game at tipcat he paused, and stood staring wildly upwards with his stick in his hand.”
“The four chief sins of which he was guilty were dancing, ringing the bells of the parish church, playing at tipcat, and reading the history of Sir Bevis of Southampton.”
“(tipcat), his blocks flew far and wide all over the country, and many even as far as the sea.”
“And then they’d leave off doing lessons, and go out in the yard and play tipcat; or Mr. Burroughs would show him how to bowl.”
“I spent the last two afternoons playing tipcat with children in an orphanage.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘tipcat’.
List of words, terms, and phrases pertaining to or referencing anything that lives, traverses, moves in, uses, or otherwise occupies the space above the ground we walk on. Words and phrases contain...
Looking for tweets for tipcat.