from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A species of ground cherry (Physalis ixocarpa) native to Mexico, widely naturalized in eastern North America, and having an edible, yellow to purple viscid fruit.
- n. The fruit of this plant.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A fruit of the genus Physalis, resembling the tomato but surrounded by a thin papery skin.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. annual of Mexico and southern United States having edible purplish viscid fruit resembling small tomatoes
- n. small edible yellow to purple tomato-like fruit enclosed in a bladderlike husk
- n. Mexican annual naturalized in eastern North America having yellow to purple edible fruit resembling small tomatoes
American Spanish, diminutive of tomate, tomato; see tomato.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)