American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A large open automobile for five or more people, popular in the 1920s.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A form of motor-car, designed for four, five, or six passengers in addition to the driver. Such cars were originally named from the fact that they were designed for touring purposes, with provision for carrying luggage and tourists’ necessities and luxuries. The name is now used for a type of motor vehicle (whether designed or used for touring purposes or not) in which more than one seat is provided, and the rear portion is in tonneau form.
- n. A large open car seating four with folding top. An automobile designed for touring; specifically, a roomy car, not a limousine.
GNU Webster's 1913
- An automobile designed for touring; specif., a roomy car, not a limousine, for five or more passengers.
- n. large open car seating four with folding top
“She left with the others, merely inclining her head as she passed Ammon's father taking his place, and entered the big touring car for which Henderson had telephoned.”
Looking for tweets for touring car.