from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The captain of a Greek trireme.
- n. An Athenian who outfitted and maintained a trireme as a part of his civic duties.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The captain of a trireme.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The commander of a trireme.
- n. At Athens, one who (singly, or jointly with other citizens) had to fit out a trireme for the public service.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Greek antiquity, the commander of a trireme; also, a property-holder who was obliged to build ships and equip them at his own expense, as a public liturgy.
Latin triērarchus, from Greek triērarkhos : triērēs, trireme; see trei- in Indo-European roots + arkhos, ruler; see -arch.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)