Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In logic, a syllogism with three conditional propositions, the major premises of which are disjunctively affirmed in the minor. See dilemma.
- n. Hence, in general, any choice between three objects.
- n. A circumstance in which a choice must be made between three options that seem equally undesirable.
- n. logic A syllogism containing three alternatives that each infer the same conclusion.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Logic) A syllogism with three conditional propositions, the major premises of which are disjunctively affirmed in the minor. See dilemma.
- n. A state of things in which it is difficult to determine which one of three courses to pursue.
- Modelled on dilemma, replacing di-, two with tri-, three (Wiktionary)
“Perhaps the trilemma is really a single monster where limited access keeps costs high, making us demand (what appears to be) insulation, which helps keep costs high.”
“The trilemma is that we can have at most two out of three.”
“The biggest problem in expanding Medicare is essentially solving what economist Greg Mankiw calls the trilemma, the three problems of health care delivery - cost, access and quality.”
“trilemma" - touted as his strongest argument - is in fact wrong.”
“A "trilemma" is like a dilemma, only there are three things to choose from and you can have just two.”
“Ok, so it's not really a "trilemma"; it is three related, but very different, decisions.”
“trilemma" is simply wrong - he can't really be accused of blind adherence to family or community tradition; he was an atheist from his teens until becoming a Christian in young adulthood (which is what made him a much more effective apologist than most, because, unlike most religious people, he understood the mindset of the sceptic and the search for evidence).”
“We live in a 'trilemma', and not dilemma, between achieving inclusive growth, depleting resources and deteriorating environmental situation.”
“These dictators have a trilemma: do they reform, do they quit or do they attempt to crush their people's aspirations for freedom?”
“At which point Reason puts you back on the horns of the trilemma.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘trilemma’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
21st century coinage. Any strange words you`ve seen on TV or heard from irritating young people.
Looking for tweets for trilemma.