from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Games A card in the trump suit, held in reserve for winning a trick.
- n. A key resource to be used at an opportune moment; a trump: "[They] seem determined to use the agreement as a trump card to obtain ... all the advantages they feel they deserve” ( Christian Science Monitor).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A playing card, of the trump suite that is held in reserve until needed to win a trick
- n. Something used to obtain an advantage, sometimes unscrupulously
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a playing card in the suit that has been declared trumps
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.