Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. See oak.
- n. Any of several oaks that grow on dry, sandy barrens.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Bot.) See Cerris.
- n. large deciduous tree of central and southern Europe and Asia Minor having lanceolate leaves with spiked lobes
- n. small slow-growing deciduous shrubby tree of dry sandy barrens of southeastern United States having leaves with bristle-tipped lobes resembling turkey's toes
- n. small semi-evergreen shrubby tree of southeastern United States having hairy young branchlets and leaves narrowing to a slender bristly point
- n. large round-topped deciduous tree with spreading branches having narrow falcate leaves with deeply sinuate lobes and wood similar to that of northern red oaks; New Jersey to Illinois and southward
“We passed through dense flats of turkey oak and slash pine and yaupon, through open barrens of wire grass and saw grass, until finally, in a place where wax myrtle thickets hemmed in the road to left and right, the horse slowed and walked, blowing hard, head down.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘turkey oak’.
how turkey is used
As in, the growths; not to be confused with /lists/the-gall.
Looking for tweets for turkey oak.