American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Sports A club of gymnasts or tumblers.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An association for the practice of gymnastics according to the system of the turners. See turner, 4.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A company or association of gymnasts and athletes.
- n. a club of tumblers or gymnasts
- German, from turnen to exercise + Verein a union. (Wiktionary)
- German : turnen, to do gymnastics; see turner2 + Verein, club (from obsolete vereine, back-formation from Middle High German vereinen, to unite : ver-, intensive pref. from Old High German far-; + einen, to make one from ein, one, from Old High German). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“a revolutionary society to be known as the worms turnverein”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘turnverein’.
A selected sampling of words for intermediate and advanced spellers.
Culturally defined terms and expressions from the four corners of the world
based upon per- indo-european root
The words from the 2012 Scripps National Spelling Bee championship round.
A reflection upon words associated with the Indo-European roots 'oi-no-', one, unique and 'swem-' & 'swen-', move,stir and sound. Sound stirred and blended may bring oneness and resolution.
Looking for tweets for turnverein.