from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to radio waves with a wavelength less than 10 meters (33 feet).
- adj. Of extremely short duration: an ultrashort flash.
- adj. Extremely short: an ultrashort skirt.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Extremely short in duration, typically on the femtosecond scale
- adj. Having a wavelength of between 1 and 10 metree
- adj. Having a very short term of investment, typically less than a year
- n. A bond with an extremely short term, typically less than a year
Clonidine and naloxone in ultrashort opiate detoxification.
Investors filed suit in 2008, claiming the brokerage had misled them about the risks involved in the "ultrashort" - term fund, which suffered heavy losses amid the market's swoon in 2007 and 2008.
Ultrashort Bonds So-called ultrashort bond funds, which invest in bonds of an average duration of one year or less, are often used as a tool to park short-term cash.
That includes those that invest in very short maturities, or so-called ultrashort bond funds.
REACHING FOR YIELD CAN BE PERILOUS With money-market funds sporting paltry yields in recent years, investors flocked to "ultrashort" bond funds.
Today, the Bethesda, Md., fund manager will introduce an "ultrashort" China exchange-traded fund, an investment designed to rise in value when Chinese stocks fall, making it easier for investors to place bearish bets.
Now they're fleeing after such "ultrashort" bond funds proved more vulnerable than expected to this year's credit-market turmoil.
"ultrashort", meaning that they use leverage to net investors twice the return from any losses in the market.
Schwab YieldPlus called itself an ultrashort bond fund.
"Some investors don't realize," says the SEC's website , "that there are material differences between ultrashort bond funds and other investments with relatively low risks, such as money-market funds and certificates of deposit."
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.