from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having a single row or series. Unbranched. Uniseriate
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having only one row or series.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Arranged in a single series: specifically used of the arras of Crinoidea in which the component plates may be arranged in one vertical series, or in two such series (biserial), in which case the edges of the plates of each series are beveled to fit into the interspaces of the other series. The arms invariably begin with a uniserial arrangement, the biserial order when present being a secondary development.
- In the art of decoration, being in a single series in which the elements either face in the same direction, or alternately to one side or the other, or alternately look away from or toward each other.
- Set in one row or series; one-ranked; unifarious. Beset with one rank, row, or series of things.
Differentiation within the vertebrate phylum is therefore not uniserial, but takes place in several directions.
The transcendentalists, of course, conceived evolution, whether real or ideal, as a uniserial process, whereas Haeckel conceived it as multiserial and divergent.
We might almost sum up the relation of the biogenetic law to the laws of von Baer and Meckel-Serres by saying that it was the Meckel-Serres law applied to the divergent differentiation upheld by von Baer instead of to the uniserial progression believed in by the transcendentalists.
In their disposition they are either uniserial, biserial or multiserial.
When they are arranged in uniserial or biserial rows the genital ducts open into or near the branchial grooves in the region of the pharynx and in a corresponding position in the post-branchial region.
We thus get the uniserial fin, which has been transmitted from the Selachii to the rest of the fishes (Figure 2.338).
Gegenbaur has shown how the five-toed leg of the Amphibia, that has been inherited by the three classes of Amniotes, was evolved from the uniserial fish-fin.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.