from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To take out the screw or screws from.
- transitive v. To loosen, adjust, or remove by rotating.
- intransitive v. To become or allow to become unscrewed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To loosen a thing by turning it.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To draw the screws from; to loose from screws; to loosen or withdraw (anything, as a screw) by turning it.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To draw the screws from; unfasten by taking out screws; also, to loosen (a screw) by turning it so as to withdraw it: often used figuratively.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. loosen by turning
- v. loosen something by unscrewing it
Sorry, no etymologies found.
But the Zionist state was created, and as you can't "unscrew" the mother of an illegitimate child-neither can you unscrew the Palestinian people: -)
Step 5: Now that the brake caliper is removed, unscrew the debris covers, which are over the bolts that secure the brake pads to the caliper, with a flathead screwdriver.
Russell said as the mechanic used a spanner to unscrew the bolts of the panel.
It is tough to clean the pins thouroughly without a special tool to unscrew the plates ... anyhow, I figured out what the problem was because the pins left a little drag mark on the primer before it set them off.
I consider this for a moment, then unscrew the bottle and take a healthy slug of the meds.
First you grab a floor lamp, snap the head off, unscrew the base, and use the pole as a makeshift cane.
Picking up steam on the road to unscrew the nation, keep it moving folks.
The ability to unscrew a drain plug above a suitable catch-pan, wait for the fluid to leak out, replace the filter and the plug, and then dump four to five quarts of the proper viscosity motor oil in a crankcase?
It is going to take more than several months for President Obama to unscrew the mess that the Bush Administration left us and let face it, he left a big mess for President Obama to clean up.
I just quickly whack the side of the lid on the counter fairly hard a couple times (not hard enough to break the jar!) then unscrew it.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.