from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A shallow groove, depression, or furrow, as between the hemispheres of the brain.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A depression or groove in the anatomy.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A groove; a fossa.
- n. One of the grooves, or hollows, between the ribs of the fruit of umbelliferous plants.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In anatomy, a depression or furrow.
- n. In hot., a groove or furrow, as on the stems of Equisetum or between the ribs of an umbelliferous fruit; a stria
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (anatomy) any furrow or channel on a bodily structure or part
Late Latin, diminutive of Latin vallēs, valley.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
New Latin, from valles (valley), 1859. (Wiktionary)