American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A shallow groove, depression, or furrow, as between the hemispheres of the brain.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In anatomy, a depression or furrow.
- n. In hot., a groove or furrow, as on the stems of Equisetum or between the ribs of an umbelliferous fruit; a stria
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Anat.) A groove; a fossa.
- n. (Bot.) One of the grooves, or hollows, between the ribs of the fruit of umbelliferous plants.
- n. (anatomy) any furrow or channel on a bodily structure or part
- New Latin, from valles (valley), 1859. (Wiktionary)
- Late Latin, diminutive of Latin vallēs, valley. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“On the upper surface of the cerebellum the vermis is elevated above the level of the hemispheres, but on the under surface it is sunk almost out of sight in the bottom of a deep depression between them; this depression is called the vallecula cerebelli, and lodges the posterior part of the medulla oblongata.”
“The under surface of the cerebellum (Fig. 703) presents, in the middle line, the inferior vermis, buried in the vallecula, and separated from the hemisphere on either side by a deep groove, the sulcus valleculæ.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘vallecula’.
Some more words for intermediate and advanced spellers.
we are all just passing through.
(boundaries, portals and liminal spaces/times)
Looking for tweets for vallecula.