from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small grayish bird (Auriparus flaviceps) of Mexico and the southwest United States, having a yellowish head and throat.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small yellow-headed bird (Auriparus flaviceps) of Lower California, allied to the titmice; the goldtit.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A small yellow-headed bird (Auriparus flaviceps) of Lower California, allied to the titmice; -- called also goldtit.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The gold tit, or yellow-headed titmouse, Auriparus flariceps, inhabiting parts of Arizona, California, and southward. It is 4½ inches long, of a grayish color with bright-yellow head. See tit and titmouse.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. very small yellow-headed titmouse of western North America
French, bunting, from vert, green, from Old French verd; see verdant.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Compare Spanish verdino ("bright green"), French verdin ("yellowhammer"). (Wiktionary)