from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A Russian measure of linear distance equivalent to about two thirds of a mile.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A Russian unit of length, equivalent to about 1.07 kilometres or about 2/3 of a mile.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A Russian measure of length containing 3,500 English feet.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- A simplified spelling of versed.
- n. A Russian measure of length, containing 3,500 English feet, or very nearly two thirds of an English mile, and somewhat more than a kilometer.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a Russian unit of length (1.067 km)
French verste or German Werst, both from Russian versta; see wer-2 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Russian верста (verstá), partly through German Werst and French verste. (Wiktionary)