American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A nest or colony of wasps or hornets.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A hornets' nest; the habitation of social wasps; also, the colony or aggregate of wasps in such a nest. See Vespa, and cut under wasp, and compare apiary and formicary.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A nest, or habitation, of insects of the wasp kind.
- From Latin vespa ("wasp") + -iary (Wiktionary)
- Latin vespa, wasp + (ap)iary. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘vespiary’.
More words for intermediate and advanced spellers.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
I've no idea where I got this page full of words, but whatever it is, I want to find it again. May have duplicate words from other lists.
Nouns ending in 'ary' which have the sense of 'a collection of' or 'home of'.
Looking for tweets for vespiary.