from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Roman Catholic Church A titular bishop who administers a region that is not yet a diocese as a representative of the Holy See.
- n. Roman Catholic Church A titular bishop appointed to administer to a vacant see in which the succession of bishops has been interrupted.
- n. Roman Catholic Church A bishop or an archbishop formerly delegated by the pope to act in his stead in a particular region.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A Roman Catholic with the title of bishop who administers a region that is not (yet) a diocese, especially in a missionary position
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a titular Roman Catholic bishop in a non-Catholic area
Sorry, no etymologies found.