American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- prep. Face to face with; opposite to.
- prep. Compared with.
- prep. In relation to.
- adv. Face to face.
- n. One that is face to face with or opposite to another.
- n. A date or an escort, as at a party.
- n. One that has the same functions and characteristics as another; a counterpart.
- prep. In relation to; compared with;
- prep. Opposite, across from, set so as to be facing.
- n. historical A small horse-drawn carriage for two people sitting facing each other.
- n. One of two (or more) people facing or opposite each other during a formal dance, at a dinner table etc.
- n. A date or escort in a social event.
- n. A person holding a corresponding position in another organisation; a counterpart.
- adj. face-to-face
- adj. in relation to
- adj. numismatics, of a coin having two portraits facing each other
- adv. face to face (with another)
- adv. archaic In a position facing a specified or implied subject.
- From French vis-à-vis ("face-to-face"). (Wiktionary)
- French : vis, face + à, to. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘vis-à-vis’.
Terms with multiple hyphens, such as rent-a-crowd. Not intended to be a see-how-many-words-one-can-string-together-with-hyphens-used-adjectively sort of list.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
This list is endorsed by the International Brotherhood of Mimes, Jerry Lewis, and the Society for the Propagation of French Stereotypes.
Words that, for various reasons, I wish we could do without.
Hecko, words! I’m so happy I’ve found you. I want to keep you all and never want to lose you again. I hope you like it here.
Hopefully, I'll be using this site for more than one year. It will be fun then to look back and see what new words I found worthy of notice in any given year.
All words spotted in 2008...
Bilby says I should have one. Even though most of these are on my other lists (the ones that weren't, I didn't really want to list).
Looking for tweets for vis-à-vis.