from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Tending to turn into glass.
- adj. Capable of being turned into glass.
- adj. Resembling glass; vitreous.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. That can become glassy.
- adj. Characteristic of glass; vitreous.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Capable of being formed into glass; tending to become glass.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Turning into glass; tending to become glass.
This idea of the production of nodules of flint in chalk-beds is countenanced from the iron which generally appears as these flints become decomposed by the air; which by uniting with the iron in their composition reduces it from a vitrescent state to that of calx, and thus renders it visible.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.