American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Tending to turn into glass.
- adj. Capable of being turned into glass.
- adj. Resembling glass; vitreous.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Turning into glass; tending to become glass.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Capable of being formed into glass; tending to become glass.
- c 1850 vitri- + -escent (Wiktionary)
- Latin vitrum, glass + -escent. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“This idea of the production of nodules of flint in chalk-beds is countenanced from the iron which generally appears as these flints become decomposed by the air; which by uniting with the iron in their composition reduces it from a vitrescent state to that of calx, and thus renders it visible.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘vitrescent’.
Looking for tweets for vitrescent.