from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A cuplike structure around the base of the stalk of certain fungi.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a cup-shaped mass at the base of various fungi
- n. Alternative form of völva.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A saclike envelope of certain fungi, which bursts open as the plant develops.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany, a wrapper or external covering of some sort; specifically, in Hymenomycetes, same as velum universale. Compare exoperidium. See velum, 2, and cut under Fungi.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. cuplike structure around the base of the stalk of certain fungi
Latin, a covering; see wel-2 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin volva. (Wiktionary)