from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. New Year's Eve.
- n. A religious service held on New Year's Eve.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The night during which January 1 enters.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The last night of the year; -- so called by the Methodists, Moravians, and others, who observe it by holding religious meetings lasting until after midnight.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The last night of the year, on which, in some churches, religious services are held till the advent of the new year.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a devotional service (especially on New Year's Eve)
Sorry, no etymologies found.