from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various aquatic insects of the families Corixidae and Notonectidae, having long oarlike hind legs adapted for swimming.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various aquatic insects of the family Corixidae that have paddle-shaped hind legs used for swimming.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A boat bug.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The boat-fly or boat-insect, an aquatic bug of the family Notonectidæ: so called because these insects move in the water like a boat propelled by oars.
- n. An aquatic bug of the family Corisidæ. All the North American species belong to the genus Corisa, as C. undulata.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. carnivorous aquatic bug having paddle-like hind legs
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.