American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A device for cooling and dispensing drinking water.
- n. A dispenser of cooled drinking water.
- n. figuratively A place in the workplace where employees gossip.
- adj. of the nature of things discussed around a water-cooler
- n. a device for cooling and dispensing drinking water
- water + cooler. In sense of gossip, compare scuttlebutt, of similar origin. (Wiktionary)
“Trade the office water cooler for an office prune-juice cooler.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘water cooler’.
how water is used
What's the scuttlebutt? Inspired by an OUP blog post.
Looking for tweets for water cooler.