from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. An element in a truss or braced girder, either in tension or compression, by which the stresses are conveyed from top chord to bottom chord, or in the reverse direction, and which acts as the solid web-plate does in the solid I-beam or the plate-girder.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Sorry, no example sentences found.

Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.