from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A mat, especially one having the word welcome on it, placed in front of a door to welcome visitors and to allow visitors a place to wipe their feet before entering.
- n. Warm hospitality accorded to a guest in order to provide a comfortable, welcoming atmosphere: The city put out the welcome mat for the new baseball team.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A doormat with a welcoming message on it.
- n. Any sign or indication of welcome.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a mat placed outside an exterior door for wiping the shoes before entering
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.