American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of various marine snails of the family Epitoniidae, having a tapering, usually white spiral shell.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A shell of the genus Scalaria or family Scalariidæ a ladder-shell. See Scalariidæ, and cut under Scalaria.
- n. Any of numerous species of elegant, usually white, marine shells of the genus Scalaria, especially Scalaria pretiosa, which was formerly highly valued.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Any one of numerous species of elegant, usually white, marine shells of the genus Scalaria, especially Scalaria pretiosa, which was formerly highly valued; -- called also
staircase shell. See scalaria.
- Dutch wenteltrap a winding staircase; compare German Wendeltreppe. (Wiktionary)
- Dutch wenteltrap, spiral staircase, wentletrap, from Middle Dutch wendeltrappe : wendel, winding (from wenden, to wind) + trappe, stairs. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“$1,000 and wentletrap level sponsorship is two tickets for $500.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘wentletrap’.
very comprehensive list
of molluscs,who does not like
calamari? hmm yum
100,000 species just in molluscs
List of words that contain the letter string *trap*. Some are obvious and apparent, such as trapezoid, while others are a bit less apparent, such as contrapuntist, ultraphysical, and intraperitoneal.
"Snaily, clammy, squidy" has evolved into a vehicle for linking to mollusk quotations, so I've started this list for vernacular names of mollusks.
words in the nature of double spirals
Looking for tweets for wentletrap.