American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The direction or point on the mariner's compass halfway between due west and west-northwest, or 78°45ʹ west of due north.
- adv. Toward or from west by north.
- n. The compass point halfway between west and west-northwest, specifically 281.25°, abbreviated as WbN.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. according to the notation of the mariner's compass, that point which lies 111/4° to the north or south, respectively, of the point due west.
- n. the compass point that is one point north of due west
Sorry, no example sentences found.
‘west by north’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for west by north.