from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The elastic, horny material forming the fringed plates that hang from the upper jaw of baleen whales and strain plankton from the water. Also called baleen.
- n. An object made of this material.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The horny material from the fringed plates of the upper jaw of baleen whales that are used to filter plankton; once used as stays in corsets
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A firm, elastic substance resembling horn, taken from the upper jaw of the right whale; baleen. It is used as a stiffening in stays, fans, screens, and for various other purposes. See baleen.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The elastic horny substance which grows in place of teeth in the upper jaw of whales of the family Balænidæ (hence called whalebone or bone whales), forming a series of thin parallel plates from a few inches to several feet long; baleen (which see).
- n. Something made of whalebone or baleen; a piece of whalebone prepared for some regular use: as, the whalebones of a corset.
- n. Specifically
- n. In the middle ages, ivory from the narwhal, walrus, or other sea-creature, or supposed to be from such a source. See whale's bone, under whale, n.
- Made of or containing whalebone.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a horny material from the upper jaws of certain whales; used as the ribs of fans or as stays in corsets
Sorry, no etymologies found.