from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A firing mechanism in certain obsolete small arms, in which a small wheel produces sparks by revolving against a flint.
- n. A firearm using such a mechanism.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of brake a carriage.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A lock for firing a gun by means of the friction of a small steel wheel against a piece of sulphuret of iron (pyrites).
- n. A combination-lock or letter-lock.
- n. A form of brake; a wagon-lock.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an obsolete gunlock using flint and a revolving wheel
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.