from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A grayish-brown wading bird (Numenius phaeopus) having a white, heavily streaked breast.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A large migratory wading bird, Numenius phaeopus, of the family Scolopacidae, with a long downcurved bill.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any one of several species of small curlews, especially the European species (Numenius phæopus), called also Jack curlew, half curlew, stone curlew, and tang whaup. See Illustration in appendix.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The Australian curlew, Numenius uropygialis.
- n. The jack-curlew or half-curlew of Europe, Numenius phæopus, smaller than the curlew proper, N. arquatus, and very closely related to the Hudsonian curlew of North America, N. hudsonicus. Also called tang-whaup, May whaup, and little whaup (which see, under whaup).
Perhaps alteration of whimper (from its cry).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)