American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Acoustical or electrical noise of which the intensity is the same at all frequencies within a given band.
- n. physics A random signal (or process) with a flat power spectral density; a signal with a power spectral density that has equal power in any band, at any centre frequency, having a given bandwidth.
- n. nontechnically Any nondescript noise used for background or to mask or drown out other noise.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. a mixture or random noise sounds extending over the entire audible frequency spectrum with approximately equal intensity at all frequencies. It is used in certain experiments, as in psychology, to prevent subjects from hearing meaningful sounds.
- n. a noise produced by a stimulus containing all of the audible frequencies of vibration
- From the analogy with white light. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Much of the earlier research on violent video games involved artificial situations, such as having college sophomores play a new game for a few minutes in a research laboratory, or measuring fraction-of-a-second differences in how long someone blasts an air horn or triggers white noise from a computer a surrogate, the researchers claim, for aggression or for violent behavior after playing a violent game.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘white noise’.
Two-word phrases composed of five-letter words. There are a couple with three words (great white shark), but I stuck those on Triads 3.
List title totally stolen from she. Right, the stock entry for this list should be a two-word phrase where one of the words denotes a colour; even better if the expression has some metaphoric value...
Abbe-Helmert crit..., a priori probability, alphabet, total correlation, three-dimensional..., theoretical frequ..., time reversal test, three-series theorem, theoretical variable, tetrachoric corre..., absolutely unbias..., absolute error and 4171 more...
how white is used
Words that indicate meaningless, confusing or deceptive talk.
Hopefully, I'll be using this site for more than one year. It will be fun then to look back and see what new words I found worthy of notice in any given year.
All words spotted in 2008...
Words and short phrases with colour names in them
These are words I am picking just because I like them.
I might make more categorized lists later, we shall have to wait and see.
Looking for tweets for white noise.