American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A whooping crane.
- n. An Old World swan (Cygnus cygnus) having a loud cry.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which whoops; a hooper: specifically applied in ornithology to a species of swan and of crane.
- n. A person or animal that whoops.
- n. The whooping crane, Grus americana.
- n. The whooper swan, Cygnus cygnus.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who, or that which, whooops.
- n. rare North American crane having black-and-white plumage and a trumpeting call
- n. common Old World swan noted for its whooping call
- whoop + -er (Wiktionary)
“Wang Fudong/Xinhua/Zumapress.com A flock of whooper swan sought food at a nature reserve in Rongcheng, China's Shandong province, Monday.”
“More than 3,000 whooper swans have settled there for winter.”
“Xinhua/Zuma Press SWAN RESERVE: A flock of whooper swans sought food at a nature reserve in Rongcheng, Shandong Province, China, Monday.”
“More than 3,000 whooper swans have settled here to spend winter.”
“On the banks of the now narrow river were two family parties of whooper swans, one with five well-grown grey/brown cygnets and the other with two cygnets.”
“The editors render the speech of this "magnetic singer and whooper" as best they can”
“Pete Masters wonders: "Ornothologial question: If we had to classify, would Swann be a mute, a whooper or a Bewick?”
“I don't know why anyone wants to put someone in the white house that has told one whooper after another.”
“A. 30-'06 will kill anything on the North American continent just as dead at viable shooting ranges as what ever that super-duper whooper the WH just had to have, and probably has killed a lot more of it, whatever IT is!!”
“| Reply | Permalink what a ho! guess she feels safe with this whooper cause she knows for sure there is no vidio. are people really this stupid in america?”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘whooper’.
birds with singular names from
at least 9 English dictionaries
Adjectives used in actual (non-taxonomic) bird names, past and present.
Looking for tweets for whooper.